The first meal I ever had from a Chinese take-away was Chicken and Pineapple. I wasn’t sure that I’d like it but I did and it has become a regular choice over the years – along with Singapore Chow Mein…
A Chinese girl used to worked for me and we were discussing food; I asked if the dishes we serve here in the UK are anything like what she has at home – the answer of course was no..but one of her favourites of the UK style was Chicken and Pineapple and she gave me her recipe for it. Really easy too!!
Turkey and pineapple
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time : under 10 minutes
Ingredients (for 4)
- 350g Turkey breast meat – thinly sliced or cut into strips
- 1 small can of pineapple chunks (in juice not syrup!)
- 1 or 2 onions – roughly chopped (1 large or 2 medium)
- 2 tsps – Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp – Cornflour
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok or deep frying pan.
- Add turkey and fry for 2 minutes – keep it moving as you don’t want it brown.
- Add Onion and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes – the onion just needs to be transparent.
- Add pineapple -including the juice, soy sauce and heat through.
- Thicken sauce with a little cornflour slaked with a little water. Cook for another minute.
Serve with Rice or Noodles.
This can also be made with chicken or pork. You can also use fresh pineapple but will need to add some liquid – juice, water or try some plum sauce. I sometimes add mushrooms too as you can see in the picture.