I caught an episode of Nigel Slater’s Simple Suppers and he made a Chorizo and Bean soup. I have a lot of time Nigel as he’s a home cook not a chef. Most of his recipes are easy and can easily be adapted to suit your own taste. The following recipe is based on his recipe, a lot of the ingredients are the same but I’ve adapted it for our family taste.
I left out celery as I’m not keen on it cooked so used a red pepper instead. I used tinned tomatoes rather than fresh. I also used mixed beans rather than cannelloni beans. The beans I used have been in the back of the cupboard for a while, mixed bean salad which I drained off. I would also have used mixed beans in chilli sauce that you can buy in any of the large supermarkets.
Oh and I cooked in the slow cooker!! You can cook it on the stove top for 1 to 2 hours.
For 4 big servings as a main course or supper.
- 2 onions – peeled and diced
- 150g carrots peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper – deseeded and diced
- 1 tin mixed beans
- 100g Chorizo cut into chunks
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 pint hot water
- pepper to taste
- few sprigs of fresh basil (optional)
- Really easy – sling everything except the basil into the slow cooker.
- Turn onto high for about 4 hours or until the carrots are tender.
- Adjust seasoning and add snipped up basil.
- Serve with crusty bread.
If you’d like to see more recipes click RECIPES
Check out my other Project 366 pictures so far.
If you’d like to read more about the project please click on the 366 badge over there on the right.