I decided to make Fajitas I had 2 turkey steaks left in the fridge after making Turkey with Mushrooms and Cranberry
I often make Fajitas and usually use chicken but have also made them with cooked chicken or turkey. We like them without a thick sauce so this is more like a stirfry. The dish is easy and quick, it is also providing some of your 5 a day with the veggies it contains. Feel free to add more veggies if you have a hungry family!
I usually use a dry fajita mix but decided to make my own for this recipe. I looked at the list of ingredients and just picked out the main spices and herbs. It turned out well but if you like them spicy add more chilli or add some chilli flakes, if you want them to taste smokier add more paprika. Or of course you can use any ready mix!
One last thing before I go on to the recipe – I like my peppers and onion with some crunch left, if you want them softer cook for a couple of minutes longer!
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 500g Turkey cut into strips
- 3 sweet peppers – various colours – sliced
- 2 onions – sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- half to one tsp chilli
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- half tsp ground black pepper
- 2 dessert spoons lime or lemon juice
- salt to your taste
- 8 tortilla wraps (or more if you have hungry mouths!!)
Picture shows what I cooked for 2 hungry adults.
- Heat a little oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Stirfry the turkey strips until just starting colour
- Add spices, herbs and pepper and stir to coat the turkey
- Fry for 1 minute
- Add the onions, peppers, lime/lemon juice
- Stir to mix
- Fry for another 4 – 5 minutes, keep it moving to prevent anything burning
- Check for seasoning and add salt if required
Serve with warm tortillas and any or all of the following: guacamole, sour cream, tomato salsa, grated cheese, salad leaves.
Don’t forget the serviettes or kitchen roll – it’ll get messy especially for the children!!