I had already planned to make some bread pudding today as the bread has been in the bread bin since the weekend and it’s getting a bit stale.
One of the first things I do everyday is check my emails and was surprised when I had an email from Turquoise Lemons saying that this month’s no waste food challenge is bread! So never one to miss an opportunity to add recipes and link up with others, here is my recipe.
I’ve been using this recipe for years and it’s great to make with your children and it’s quick as it’s cooked in the microwave. It’s based on a recipe in a Microwave cooking book I’ve had for over 20 years! It’s ideal to pop into packed lunches.
My microwave is a 1000 watt and I cook it on Medium setting. You may need to adjust timings to suit yours.
- 4 slices of bread (from a normal medium sliced loaf)
- 40g melted butter (or modern butter like spread)
- 1 egg
- 200ml milk
- 75g sugar
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 200g mixed dried fruit
- Grease an 8 inch flan dish (not metal!!!)
- In a mixing bowl – Break bread into small pieces.
- Pour over milk and leave for 5 – 10 mins
- Using a fork mash the bread – you just want it mixed into the milk.
- Add melted butter, egg, sugar and fruit and mix well. The mixture should be dropping consistency.
- Transfer to the flan dish and smooth out the top. Don’t worry if it comes to the top it doesn’t rise!!
- Place in a microwave on half power for 12 minutes.
- Check that it is cooked by pushing a knife blade or fork into the centre it should come out clean.
- Dust with sugar. (optional)
- Serve warm or cold.